Breckenridge and Summit County Travel Tips
When work has been stressful and the wanderlust sets in, the call for adventure often leads to Colorado. As one of the premier places to stay and play, Summit County is home to numerous towns wherein to enjoy a mountain rental and recharge one’s batteries. Whether you’re planning your first trip to Summit County and looking for the best Breckenridge lodging deals, or you haven’t been in a while and just need a refresher on how to plan for the weather, we have gathered a few of the best tips to get your vacation off on the right foot.
Adjusting to High AltitudeColorado is known for high-octane fun a mile above sea level, and in the case of Summit County, it’s more like two miles. As such, people who have spent relatively little time at or near that altitude will almost immediately start to feel the effects of the change in elevation. It is not uncommon for people to experience dizziness, shortness of breath, and fatigue while in the process of acclimatization. Some things to remember:
- Drink plenty of water.
- Reduce intake of alcohol, caffeine, and salt.
- Give yourself a day or so to rest before starting anything physically strenuous.
- Fruits, vegetables, and carbohydrates will help with acclimatization.
- Pets require the same altitude adjustment as humans.
Anticipating the WeatherNaturally, you are going to want to prepare for whatever season you’ll be capitalizing on those sweet Silverthorne lodging deals, which generally means winter- or summer-wear. However, Colorado weather can be a fickle friend, and some forethought regarding snap changes wouldn’t go amiss. Some things to consider when planning your Colorado getaway:
- Colorado experiences over 300 days of sunshine a year, which means that even winter days can run quite warm.
- Sunburns have a greater likelihood of occurring at higher altitudes.
- The average annual rainfall in Colorado is about 78 days, with May being the wettest month (10 days) and October being the driest (5 days).
- The average annual snowfall is 60-100 inches, with temperatures ranging between 16 - 54.
- When searching for those Breckenridge lodging deals, be prepared for those more popular mountain towns to receive more of everything: more sun, rain, and snow, than places like Denver.
General TipsThe perfect Colorado vacation might take its fair share of planning in order to adjust to the state’s most beloved natural features, like the elevation and the weather, but what it gives back will almost certainly be worth it. Here are a few tips to keep in mind as you anticipate visiting the Centennial State:
- It is important to keep an eye out for updates to the Ski Colorado website to see what Breckenridge, Frisco, and Silverthorne lodging deals can be found.
- If you are interested in trying a new sport but don’t want to burden yourself with packing too much, mountain rental equipment can be found through many of our partners (deals included).
- No matter what season you’ll be vacationing, remember to wear layers and pack plenty of sunscreen.